Evaluation of screen-printing techniques for embedding ECG sensors in medical devices

Dore, Henry, Aviles-Espinosa, Rodrigo, Luo, Zhenhua, Anton, Oana, Rabe, Heike and Rendon-Morales, Elizabeth (2020) Evaluation of screen-printing techniques for embedding ECG sensors in medical devices. The 27th IEEE International Conference on Electronics Circuits and Systems, Glasgow / Online, 23 - 25 November 2020. Published in: Proceedings of the 27th IEEE International Conference on Electronics Circuits and Systems. 1-4. IEEE ISBN 9781728160443

[img] PDF (© 2020 IEEE) - Accepted Version
Download (955kB)


Heart rate monitoring is the most important indicator to evaluate the clinical status of a newborn during birth. Approximately 90% of newborn infants make the transition from the intrauterine to extra uterine environment without major complications; however, the remaining 10% of newborn infants require assistance during this transition. Heart rate monitoring is required for guiding further interventions in the event of complications such as the need for resuscitation. In this work we evaluate the suitability of embedding electrometer-based-amplifier sensors employing novel screen-printing techniques into medical devices. We compare our results with traditional copper based wired electrodes. Our implementation was able to acquire electrocardiogram with enough signal to noise ratio, suitable for heart rate detection with a 1% loss of heart rate accuracy, compared with the copper-based electrodes. Our device has the potential to be embedded in devices for assisting births though heart rate monitoring.

Item Type: Conference Proceedings
Additional Information: © 2020 IEEE. Personal use of this material is permitted. Permission from IEEE must be obtained for all other uses, in any current or future media, including reprinting/republishing this material for advertising or promotional purposes, creating new collective works, for resale or redistribution to servers or lists, or reuse of any copyrighted component of this work in other works
Keywords: electrocardiogram, textile, electrode, electric potential sensor, medical devices, wearables
Schools and Departments: Brighton and Sussex Medical School > Clinical and Experimental Medicine
School of Engineering and Informatics > Engineering and Design
Related URLs:
SWORD Depositor: Mx Elements Account
Depositing User: Mx Elements Account
Date Deposited: 08 Dec 2020 09:27
Last Modified: 04 Mar 2022 16:54
URI: http://sro.sussex.ac.uk/id/eprint/95557

View download statistics for this item

📧 Request an update