Stanmer House and Park, East Sussex c1710-1805

Berry, Sue (2005) Stanmer House and Park, East Sussex c1710-1805. Sussex Archaeological Collections, 143. pp. 239-55. ISSN 01438204

Full text not available from this repository.

Abstract

The Pelhams of Stanmer redeveloped the site of an earlier house into a fashionable Georgian country villa and then developed a substantial park to surround it. By 1800, the ambitions of Thomas Pelham II and Ann (née Frankland) his wife had pushed the family into debt. The main part of the 1720s house, the 1770s stables and lodges of the 1770s survive, so does the outline of some of the planting by the Georgian Pelhams. This is a study of the development of the house and grounds by the Pelham family set into the broader context of their wider ambitions and their expenditure in order to meet them.

Item Type: Article
Schools and Departments: School of Business, Management and Economics > Centre for Community Engagement
Depositing User: Sue Berry
Date Deposited: 06 Feb 2012 20:58
Last Modified: 30 May 2012 11:35
URI: http://sro.sussex.ac.uk/id/eprint/28926
📧 Request an update