Impaired Translesion Synthesis in Xeroderma Pigmentosum Variant Extracts

Cordonnier, Agnes M, Lehmann, Alan R and Fuchs, Robert P P (1999) Impaired Translesion Synthesis in Xeroderma Pigmentosum Variant Extracts. Molecular and Cellular Biology, 19 (3). pp. 2206-2211. ISSN 0270-7306

[img]
Preview
PDF - Published Version
Download (1MB) | Preview

Abstract

Xeroderma pigmentosum variant (XPV) cells are characterized by a cellular defect in the ability to synthesize intact daughter DNA strands on damaged templates. Molecular mechanisms that facilitate replication fork progression on damaged DNA in normal cells are not well defined. In this study, we used single-stranded plasmid molecules containing a single N-2-acetylaminofluorene (AAF) adduct to analyze translesion synthesis (TLS) catalyzed by extracts of either normal or XPV primary skin fibroblasts. In one of the substrates, the single AAF adduct was located at the 3' end of a run of three guanines that was previously shown to induce deletion of one G by a slippage mechanism. Primer extension reactions performed by normal cellular extracts from four different individuals produced the same distinct pattern of TLS, with over 80% of the products resulting from the elongation of a slipped intermediate and the remaining 20% resulting from a nonslipped intermediate. In contrast, with cellular extracts from five different XPV patients, the TLS reaction was strongly reduced, yielding only low amounts of TLS via the nonslipped intermediate. With our second substrate, in which the AAF adduct was located at the first G in the run, thus preventing slippage from occurring, we confirmed that normal extracts were able to perform TLS 10-fold more efficiently than XPV extracts. These data demonstrate unequivocally that the defect in XPV cells resides in translesion synthesis independently of the slippage process

Item Type: Article
Schools and Departments: School of Life Sciences > Sussex Centre for Genome Damage and Stability
Depositing User: Alan Lehmann
Date Deposited: 06 Feb 2012 20:48
Last Modified: 07 Mar 2017 09:33
URI: http://sro.sussex.ac.uk/id/eprint/28203

View download statistics for this item

📧 Request an update